Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Obituary

Perhaps it's the living who suffer the most.

--------
BOSTON, MA
Effie Orfanides, a writer, died alongside the many she has lost. Trying hard to keep her heart together each time another one passed, the wordsmith lost herself in all the mourning. She wilted until there was nothing left. A lost soul who cried dry tears. She is survived by those who suffer the most.
--------
In 2007, my husband's best friend committed suicide. He was the person who introduced us. In 2008 my husband's grandmother died of old age, my grandmother followed five months later. In April of 2010, my husband's friend's mother passed away suddenly. It was only a matter of days before the next tragedy hit. My only aunt died at 56 years old. She went to sleep and didn't wake up. I found out while on vacation in Disney World. It was my first day there.
 
In 2011 I lost my great aunt and my great uncle, the last two living on my mother's side. And then there was another blow. My mom's best friend since high school was diagnosed with the worst kind of leukemia. The nicest woman with no husband and no children, was like an aunt to me. Always positive, offering her help, and kind to all. It is with a heavy heart tonight that I tell you she isn't going to make it.

And sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. If God has a plan. And then I realize that it is the living who suffer the most. And while I know that there is no death worse than the next, I wonder when it will stop. When time will stand still for you or me, and what will become of the living. And once you can breathe again, you take it all in. It's in this moment that you realize that this is God's plan. To bring angels down to the earth so that you may see what awaits you in heaven.

So perhaps it is the living who suffer the most. But in death, the living prevail. Because it is in death that the suffering ends, and one day, we will all be angels.